Monday, April 19, 2010

The Lovely Bones

On Friday Dom went skiing with his brother and while he was out doing that I did my errands for the day and then decided to kill some time at Chick-fil-A. Dom doesn't like this restaurant and so I thought I would treat myself to a late lunch/early dinner while he was gone. I didn't want to sit there alone forever with nothing to do so while I was picking up some stuff at Wal-Mart I grabbed some reading material for my meal. At first I thought about getting The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks but I didn't really feel in the mood for a sappy love story and decided to look for a thriller. I found The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, which I knew had been turned into a movie, which was perfect cause I love watching books come to life after I have read them and so I decided to get this one, especially after I read the first line, "My name was Salmon, like the fish; first name, Susie. I was fourteen when I was murdered on December 6, 1973." I thought, this is going to be good.


I ate and read, and kept reading and reading and decided it was time to go home after they had cleaned up my tray for me and asked if I wanted a refill twice. When I got home I plopped down on the couch and continued to read. The author's style was unique and I loved the way she explained things or described people or situations. Example: "Had my brother really seen me somehow, or was he merely a little boy telling beautiful lies?" I guess it's nothing profound but it flowed well and was different. Anyway, I read until we went to bed and then read in my pajamas the entire next day until I finished. I wasn't a huge fan of the ending but I think that's because it wasn't traditional, this was purely a story, something to make you think and feel and doesn't really fit into any category that I know of. I would definitely recommend it and I hope to be reading another book by this author, also, I can't wait to watch the movie. It's next in my queue on Netflix.

No comments: