Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Tired

People say that having a puppy is pretty similar to having a baby. Getting up in the middle of the night, watching them constantly, making sure they're ok. I don't think it is the exact equivalent but after taking care of my baby brothers, I can say that there are some similarities.

Scramble is slowly learning all the things he needs to. He went from getting up every two hours to three, then four, and now he sleeps seven hours in a row. Almost a full night through. He knows how to sit and come and occasionally he will lay down when commanded to. My favorite thing he is learning is asking to go outside to go to the bathroom. I am trying to make sure that whenever he is near the door I say, "outside" and then take him outside so he knows that's how to ask. Well, yesterday we were in my bathroom together and he wondered off like usual and I went after him and I found him sitting in front of the door patiently waiting for me to come and let him out. I did and he went potty right away! I was so proud of him and so thankful. He did it again today.

Something else he is learning is to ride in the car without freaking out. I heard most dogs don't do too well their first time or two and Scramble was no exception but now he just lays down and sleeps. I took him to my In-laws yesterday which is half an hour away and he did just fine. The next thing I would love for Scramble to learn is how to walk on a leash. For now he gets distracted too easily and runs into my feet and gets tangled up in his leash. I want him to be able to walk by my side or in front of me. I need to give him time. He is after all still a puppy.

So even though I am tired and always on alert about what he is doing, I love this adorable little puppy and I am so thankful that he is here with us.

No comments: