Thursday, July 2, 2009

Productivity

My main responsibilities of the day include: picking up after myself and Dom, doing whatever work orders come in, and making dinner. I have recently become accustomed to actually doing most of my chores at the beginning of the day (besides making dinner) and then having the rest of the day to do whatever I want. Before I got married I pictured that I would spend this time reading and sort of self-educating myself, try and get some culture. I really like to read and have done quite a bit lately but my biggest weakness has gotten to me again. I watch way too much T.V. I have been watching more T.V. then I have been reading and I at least realize my problem but now I am trying to figure out a solution.

I figure maybe I can take up a hobby that I can do while the T.V. plays in the background and while I am not reading. I like to knit but I am not that great at it and need to go back to Dom's mom for lessons. Unfortunately, I forgot everything she taught me because I didn't keep up with it. Something else I thought I could do and have always wanted to do was to take sign language classes at the local JC but either their classes have already started or they are at a time that I cannot attend. Since I also suck at sewing/quilting mainly because I have no clue what I am doing, this is another flawed idea. This leaves me at a loss of how to spend my free time.

I want to be productive but I just don't seem to have the motivation to get past the learning stage of a hobby enough to truely enjoy it. I have a problem where if I don't get/understand how to do something right away I don't want to do it. I need to learn to push past the beginning stages of things and learn to persevere if I want to get anywhere in life, especially if I eventually want my children to have this characteristic. Now I would love some ideas or suggestions on what I can do with my free time that would seem productive. If you have anything for me just leave a comment. :)

2 comments:

Mindy said...

You could do pilates.. or tae bo.. that way the TV is on but you're working out too. Or you could teach yourself the piano. You've got the instrument, and the basic knowledge - do it. Or you could write me endless letters. Or you could learn a language from those self help books. Or you could learn to Rubiks. That's my fav. Like any of these?

Emily said...

Paint? Re-finish furniture? Bead? Ummm...crochet? If you knit you can usually find helpful videos on youtube if you forget a stitch or need help getting started again. Write a book. Bake lots and lots of cookies and have a bake sale and lemonade stand (who says you have to be under 10 years old to do this?) Re-arrange all the furniture, decide you don't like it and put it all back. Go to the library and check out books you read when you were younger and notice how extremely cheesy and improbable they are now. Mostly I knit or crochet...something crafty or I end up making cookies and eating a bunch...then pilates are necessary.