Monday, April 6, 2009

Ohana means family

Alright, here goes a little venting. We are living with the in-laws right now.....enough said? Don't get me wrong, I love my in-laws. They are amazing people who have opened their home to us once again but when you are newlyweds living with your parents, free rent doesn't bring as big of a smile to your face.

Here's what happened. We have a house but technically it's not officially ours. We are in contract to buy it but we are just waiting on the loan. Our broker promised us that we would be in on the 23rd of March, which in the day after we got back from our honeymoon but what happened was that a few days before we got back we got an email (not even a phone call) to tell us that he had to drop our loan from the lender he was going through because there were complications and has to start the process over with a different lender, meaning we would have to ask for an extension and get into our house even later than the original closing date.

Well, since this was dropped on us a little too late to look for an apartment and we don't have the money to stay in a hotel for a few weeks we ended up back at the folks. Now to be fair I should let you know that they are extremely considerate. They always give us our privacy and offer to go out to give us more time at home alone but somehow it's just never enough.

I love learning about a strong Christian family foundation from them and seeing how they interact with each other. I also love the many home baked goods that his mom makes but how we both view it is that our marriage hasn't officially started yet. I mean duh, we are married but we have yet to live on our own and take care of each other and ourselves independently. I really do believe that this was orchestrated by God and that I am supposed to gain something from this time which I feel I already have but I am ready to appreciate the new house and the alone time with my husband. In other words, I am ready to say goodbye to the "Ohana."

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Oh Candy I totally understand! Jake and I lived with his parents after our honeymoon for a few weeks in between moving our stuff from Portland to LA and that is exactly how we felt. It definitely is different when you are in your own place and figuring out marriage for real. In fact, right after we got married it didn't even feel like we were married at all except we were allowed to sleep in the same room! It gets much better once you move and I remember being so anxious for that just as you are. I guess all I can say is to Just be patient and be thankful because all the glamour of a house fades quickly when all of the cleaning and cooking starts :) Miss you and hope everything works out with the house real soon!